Spray Tan FAQ's
How does a spray tan work?
Spray Tanning is temporarily changing the colour of your skin by applying (spraying a fine mist) a specially formulated solution to to the surface of the skin. The active ingredients within the solution react with keratin, a protein within your skin cells a natural looking tanned colour. The solution only colours your top layer of skin cells so each time you wash your skin these cells gradually shed causing fading of the colour over a period of 5-7days.
What tanning solutions do you use?
We primarily use Naked Tan spray tanning solution. In our experience, this solution is high quality and gives the best overall finish with the lowest odour. Naked Tan's products are all-natural, plant based.
What is the active ingredient, the part that makes your skin tan, in a tanning solution?
The main active ingredient in a spray tanning solution is dihydroxyacetone which is a simple carbohydrate derived from sugar beels and sugar cane. Another active ingredient is erythrolose which is also a carbohydrate. It is found in fruits such as raspberries. These two active ingredients react with the proteins found on the skins surface by tinting it a lovely bronzed colour over a period of 2-8 hours. Both ingredients combined provide an even tan colour and a smoother fade over several days.
How long will my tan last?
Depending on how you will maintain your tan and the general health of your skin, you should be able to get 5-7 days out of your tan. The tan solution only colours the top layer of skin cells, so each day as you shower you are removing skin cells which have been treated by the tan solution. Moisturising your skin daily will prolong your tan also reducing time spent in chlorinated water will also sow down the colour fade. Be sure to pat your skin dry and do not rub your skin after showering or swimming.
How long does it take to be spray tanned?
It usually takes 10-15 minutes for a full body spray tan.
What do i wear to my spray tanning session?
You can wear as much or as little as you like. Most people only wear a g-string, others include a bikini top. Choose dark underwear/bikini's as the tanning solution might stain.
What do I do after I spray Tan?
- Wear loose dark coloured clothing and loose footwear after you spray tan. Preferably, do not wear a bra. Tight fitting clothing will encourage the spray tan solution to rub off before it has had the chance to penetrate and react with the skin. Cotton clothing is the best as it is light, natural fabric that doesn't promote sweating.
- Gently pat your skin dry after contact with water.
- Try not to rub or scratch your body as this can also remove the spray tan solution during the developing process. This includes putting on jewellery. In particular, finger, toe rings and belly button rings.
- Avoid any strenuous exercise immediately after your spray tan.
- Do not apply any moisturisers or deodorant until after your first shower. You can apply talcum powder to perspiration areas such as armpits, behind the knees, behind the neck and under the breasts to prevent sweating. Talcum powder will not affect the spray tan.
- Avoid swimming pools as chlorine will increase the fading of your spray tan.
- Remember to wear a protective sunscreen when outdoors
- Moisturise every day (preferably twice a day) to keep your skin and tan in tip top condition.
- As your tan fades, you will notice the drier areas of your body will fade more unevenly. Start to exfoliate your skin with a mitt/lotion. Best done when your skin is moist in the shower to void scratching your tan and irritating your skin.
When is the best time to have a spray tan prior to a special occasion?
We advise that the best time to spray tan your skin is about 48 hours prior to a special occasion to allow the tan to develop and settle.
Can anyone have a spray tan?
Most people are suitable to have a spray tan. We suggest that pregnant women in the first trimester, those with severe asthma or with very sensitive skin refrain from spray tanning. However, if you are unsure, please contact us.
Is spray tanning messy or smelly?
No. The spray tan technician will set up a spray tan booth in your home. The HLVP sprayer produces a very precise spray and any overspray is caught in the booth. Their is a faint smell of coconut, and that is all.
Is spray tanning safe?
Yes! DHA has been approved for cosmetic use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) since 1973.
Is it best to shave/wax before I have my spray tan?
It is best to shave or wax 8 hours prior to your spray tan.
During my shower, I have noticed some colour washing away?
This is fine and completely normal. The excess colour that is washing away is the bronzer not your spray tan.
Does the developing process continue after I have my first shower?
Yes, you now have the convenience of showering only 2 hours after your spray tan. You will continue to develop a deeper, darker tan after you have showered.
Can i spray tan if I am in a wheelchair?
Yes of course.
Where do you do the tan?
In any room of your choice. The tanning technician will bring a portable tanning booth that is set up in seconds. It's completely enclosed which means there's no mess for you to clean!
I want a spray tan but I am too embarrassed/self conscious. Is your service discreet?
We understand that a spray tan can be daunting, especially if you have never had a spray tan before. We guarantee that 95% were nervous before their first appointment too! Your anxiety will vanish when the appointment begins and you see how routinely the spray tan is applied. Our spray tan clients see all bodies of all shapes and sizes many times on a daily basis. Chances are if you've got something your self conscious about, its nothing that we haven't seen before and chances are we won't even notice! Our job is to focus on applying your spray tan application to ensure you have the best possible results.
Can i come to you?
Yes, we have a home studio located in Blakehurst. Bookings are essential. You will also receive a $5 discount for coming to us!
What are your trading hours?
9am - 11.30pm, 7 days. We have an after hours service with a small surcharge.
What is the best way to book an appointment?
The best way to book an appointment is to call or SMS 0424 498 595 or alternatively you can book via email: email@example.com